Friday, January 20, 2012

A Peek at SCBWI Miami

Week of January 15, 2012—Reflections from SCBWI Miami
Friday, January 20, 2012—A Peek at SCBWI Miami


I have more memories than pictures of SCBWI Miami. But I wanted to share what I have (and what my friends shared with me).


I guess this picture speaks for itself. I just wonder where Wonder Man is.


One of the highlights of the meeting was having Lin Oliver, co-founder and executive director of SCBWI with us. Lin gave a keynote address on Saturday, critiqued manuscripts, and led a breakout session on Sunday.


Here is my fellow critique group member, Dionna, with Lin just after having books autographed.


This is Dionna with author Laura Murray who wrote the hit The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School. Laura is a former SCBWI Florida gal and now lives in Virginia. She was back to participate in the First-Books Panel and led a breakout session with her agent.


At the Mad Hatter’s Ball four of my face-to-face critique group members and one of my online critique group members joined me and we dressed as the Tweedles. I was Tweedle Dum (go figure), Cheryl was Tweedle Dee, Aimee was Tweedle Mum, Madeleine was Tweedle Bee, Dionna was Tweedle Rum, and Jane was Tweedle Sea. Bonnie joined us as the unnamed Tweedle with a beanie!


Here’s Tweedle Mum and Tweedle Dum. Aimee is wearing padding. I, sadly, am not.


Tweedle Sea (aka Jane) with a random sea creature who wandered into the banquet. Jane asked me to not say she hooked a big one! Oops!

Dionna is in my face-to-face group and Aimee (from Canada) is in my online group. I’ve been telling them they look like sisters. This picture is the proof.

We learned, we collaborated, we wrote, we critiqued, we networked, we brainstormed, we ate, we laughed, we had a wonderful time. Thanks SCBWI Florida for an outstanding conference experience!

4 comments:

Tina Cho said...

Looks like it was a blast! Thanks for sharing!
~Tina Cho

Janet Smart said...

Looks like you all had a great time!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm so jealous! That Florida weather is tempting this cold Kansas gal. I've never been to a SCBWI conference outside of Kansas....I'm feeling a new goal coming! Thanks for sharing - I just started following your blog per Tammi Sauer :) She's great, so I knew you'd be great too!

Theresa Love

*not sure why it thinks I'm an unknown user - I signed in with my gmail account